Hey guys! Name's Daniel. As you can probably tell, I love movies. I love to talk about them. To give my opinion and to hear another's opinion too. It's a lot of fun.
Some background about me. I've never really been to school for this stuff. I've taken acting classes in school since I was in my single digit years, I've done school films with friends in high school, and I sure do love to write screenplays, but I've never done anything with that stuff. I love to write, but I don't want to be forced into creativity and then graded on it. I just want to write what comes to mind and share it with anyone who wants to compare and contrast opinions. Basically, what I'm getting at is this: I don't have an eye for good editing, cinematography, all that good stuff. I look for well-written characters, development of those characters, a good story, entertainment value, that sort of thing.
Now for my reviewing style. I usually start my reviews basically saying how I felt about the movie before viewing it. If it's a part of a franchise, I will talk about how I like or dislike it, or if it's a standalone movie, I will talk about how I happened upon it and whether or not I was looking forward to it. Then I'll give a brief summary of the movie to give the general masses an idea of what the story is about in case they've never heard of the movie, or have heard of it, but have limited knowledge about the film as a whole. Finally, I will review it. My honest opinion of whether or not it's good, bad, entertaining, boring, interesting, dull, you name it. My rating system is out of 5, but occasionally, I might give a movie a strong 4 or a weak 3, something like that. What would that mean? Strong 4's would be like, "it's a great movie, but this ONE element bothers me and I just can't give it a perfect score," type of deal. A weak 3 would be like, "it's okay, but leaning more toward bad than good; in short, it's too flawed a movie to be a recommendation, but there's probably a few good moments that prevent it from being a straight-up bad movie," sort of thing.
5 = great/fantastic. MUST SEE
4 = really good/damn fine
3 = okay. Not good not bad, somewhere in between
2 = bad. not worth your time
1 = cinematic slicing of your balls. KEEP AWAY
I'll do reviews of basically any movie I see in cinemas for the first time. Sci-fi, fantasy, and action are my favorite genres. Not so much horror or comedy, so I will generally avoid them, or put off watching them for as long as possible.
That's pretty much it.
Some basic info:
- favorite movie is THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
- I don't really have a least favorite movie.
- I'm a casual gamer. I own an Xbox One. Mostly play RPGs and shooters like DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION, FALLOUT 4, the Tomb Raider games, etc, and might even do the occasional video game review too.
- favorite video game is Bioware's STAR WARS KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC
- I don't play enough video games to have a least favorite.
- favorite TV shows of the past include: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (the re-imagining), FIREFLY, XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS, FARSCAPE, and many more.
- current favorite TV shows include: CASTLE, ONCE UPON A TIME, THE MUPPETS, anything DC comics related, and a few more.